Lilypie First Birthday tickers

background

Friday, July 9, 2010

BREECH!!!

Went for a routine check-up today and we got a surprise. The midwife was feeling around on my tummy and said she was 95% sure that she was feeling Audrey's head down in my pelvis area but she wanted to do an ultrasound just to make sure. The 5% won and she was incorrect - Audrey is breech! This is not a huge deal and she would normally have plenty of time for turning IF I had normal fluid levels. The fluid levels are supposed to be between 5 - 25 and the ultrasound showed that mine was at 6.4 - which is a little scary by itself since it means she doesn't have a lot of cushion inside and can easily get into a position where she is clamping down on the cord - but this also means there is a slim chance she will turn herself or be turned by other means since there is a lack of goods to make her float in there. BUT I am going to try to get her to turn and continue with our original plan. They told me to drink LOTS and LOTS to increase fluid levels - like up to a gallon and a half a day - phew! - if fluid levels go up they may be able to turn her manually - eek sounds scary and I've heard that could be painful. I can also try swimming, which will make her more floaty and light or I can try going to a chiropractor to do something called the Webster Technique - they will try to adjust my ligaments to encourage her to turn. I also had to do a Fetal Non-Stress Test which monitored her heartbeat and movements for a while with a belt around my tummy and the results were good and she is healthy and doing fine. We go back for an ultrasound next Wednesday (7/14) and if she hasn't turned and my fluid levels are still down they will schedule a c-section for late next week or early the following week. This news had me quite bummed but I am finding peace in the bright side of a cesarean and knowing that my plans are not always what God has planned for me. Audrey and I are both healthy and that is all that matters!

Bright Side:

HEALTHY BABY GIRL

Decisions Made - We (I - the husband is too easy going) struggled making the decision about where to have Audrey - Birthing Center or hospital? Drugs or natural? All that worry may be decided for me!

No labor and no hurting oonie (good point from Auntie Alli) - WOOHOO!! Nuf said!

Wait Staff - having a natural birth could mean a super fast recovery and no sympathy - if you can birth a baby without drugs than by all means you better be up off that couch the next day doing dishes and laundry (not really but I may have expected that from myself a little) - With a C-section I'll have husband, hospital staff, Mom, Dad, Family, and friends all waiting on my every need and all I have to do is love on Audrey and feel entitled!! AND, the pampering begins NOW - I'm supposed to be still, rest, and drink lots of fluids - the couch and I will be doing some major bonding!

Round non-pointy head (hee hee - thanks Amy for that excellent point!)

Preparedness - knowing what is going to happen takes a load off and we can be better prepared. I can stop doing small loads of laundry just to make sure all the laundry is done if I go into labor and I can stop doing dishes 49 times a day in case we have to leave the house in a hurry - pretty sure I've had a major case of nesting in wanting everything in the house to be perfect for when she gets here. However, I could still go into labor which could happen at any time but still knowing what is going to happen at that point is a pretty good feeling.

Sympathy diaper bag from hubby...the expensive one I really wanted ;)


Although I am sad at the news today and I do realize recovery from a c-section is tough, I will continue to think of the positive things and all my blessings. And I will continue to patiently wait for the arrival of our baby girl - the outcome is the same no matter what way!

A grasp seeking strength
a sign searching for relief
a labor toiling to its end
For a tiny body, wrinkled and wet meets
a touch exploring new skin
a kiss expressing new affection
a whisper promising tomorrow
a tear blurring bittersweet joy
As the thundering peace of Birth
...suspends time
-Author Unknown

1 comment:

  1. awwwwwwwwww. this post makes me want to cry a little. those darn birth plans we create for ourselves can be good, but then really disappointing when it doesn't go our way. You know my labor went the complete opposite way of what I wanted, and although I am still disappointed with having a c-section, my little boy is perfect and was delivered safe and healthy w/ a 9.9 apgar score by God's good grace...so Audrey will be here with His plans...oh, and I LOVE that diaper bag from Serena and Lily; I will covet it every time you carry it! :)

    ReplyDelete